ISP seeks recruits for 83rd academy
The Indiana State Police is accepting applications for the 83rd Recruit Academy. Individuals who are interested in beginning a career as an Indiana State Police trooper must apply online at IndianaTrooper.com. This website will provide a detailed synopsis of the application process as well as information about additional career opportunities with the Indiana State Police.
Applications must be submitted electronically by 11:59 p.m. Sunday, March 27. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted for the 83rd academy.
The first 200 applicants to successfully pass all phases of the application process (Physical Ability Test, Written Examination, Oral Interview, Polygraph Examination and Background Investigation) will be reviewed by the ISP superintendent for consideration of employment (note the dates for the Superintendent’s Review on the selection process time line.) It is imperative interested applicants engage in the selection process early.
Basic eligibility requirements and consideration factors for an Indiana State Police trooper are:
• Must be a United States citizen.
• Must be at least 21 and younger than 40 when appointed as a police employee. (Appointment date will be Dec. 15, 2022.)
• Must meet a minimum vision standard (corrected or uncorrected) of 20/50 acuity in each eye and 20/50 distant binocular acuity in both eyes.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license to operate an automobile.
• Must be willing, if appointed, to reside and serve anywhere in Indiana as designated by the superintendent.
• Must be a high school graduate as evidenced by a diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED).
The current starting salary for an Indiana State Police Dept. Recruit is $1,615.39 bi-weekly during the academy training. At the completion of academy training, the starting salary is $48,000 a year. Effective July 1, 2022, an approved budget will increase the trooper pay matrix. This will impact the trooper trainee (proposed increase to $45,000) and first-year trooper salary (proposed increase to $51,000).
Recruits of the 83rd academy are offered a health care plan, which includes medical, dental, vision and pharmacy coverage for both current and retired employees, along with their families, until reaching age 65. The Indiana State Police pension program provides a lifetime pension after 25 years of service. Additionally, the Indiana State Police provides comprehensive disability coverage and a life insurance program. Student loan forgiveness programs are being offered at this time.
For current law enforcement officers to become troopers they must have a minimum of three continuous years of merit full-time law enforcement service as of May 26, and, if they choose, will be assigned to the district where they currently reside.
Current out-of-state law enforcement officers must have a minimum of three continuous years of merit full-time law enforcement service as of May 26, 2022, and, if they choose, may be afforded their district of choice, if their home state certification is determined equivalent to the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board standards.
Applicants are required to pass the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy Exit Standards to proceed in the selection process. Those standards are a 16-inch vertical jump, 29 sit-ups in one minute, a 300-meter run in 71 seconds, 25 push-ups and a 1.5-mile run in 16 minutes, 28 seconds.
Physical ability testing dates will be:
• Friday, Dec. 17, 1 p.m. in Plainfield.
• Saturday, Jan. 22, 8 a.m. in South Bend.
• Saturday, Feb. 5, 8 a.m. in Orleans.
• Friday, Feb. 18, 1 p.m. in Plainfield.
• Saturday, March 12, 8 a.m. in South Bend.
• Saturday, March 26, 8 a.m. in Orleans.
• Friday, April 1, 1 p.m. in Plainfield.
Applicants are afforded the opportunity to attend additional PAT dates to improve current scores or achieve a passing score. Additional information regarding the PAT can be found online at https://www.in.gov/isp/2880.htm.
Interested applicants can obtain additional information about a career as an Indiana State Police trooper by visiting IndianaTrooper.com. Applicants can also contact a recruiter by email at [email protected].