June 2, 2021
• I’m doing a study of the origin of Harrison County road names, and I’m stumped on Sival Road, runs from S.R. 337 to S.R. 135. If anybody has any insight or understanding of how that road got its name, please call Live Wire.
• I’m calling in regards to opening the (May & Joe) Rhoads (Memorial) Pool this summer. I think it’s very unfair of you not to try to find another place to put the COVID (test) place because these kids need a place to go this summer and that pool was always a favorite. They can’t always get a ride down to Elizabeth or even to O’Bannon (Woods State Park). That’s a pretty good distance for a lot of people, so it’s really not fair to the kids in town that you cannot open that pool site. …
• Senate Republicans blocked an independent investigation into an attempted overthrow of the U.S. government. Let that sink in for a moment.
• This is something I call about, I think, every year. Every year I’m disappointed when I see the $10 charge for the fair. My daughter has a family of seven. She would like to go more than once and not ride all the time, but also I would like to go and just walk around. I would enjoy it every day, but I’m a senior citizen and I don’t have that kind of money to pay $70 to walk around each day. But anyway, my daughter can’t afford the $70 even for one time.
Editor’s note: The gate fee doesn’t go into effect most days of the fair until 4 p.m. (the fee starts at 3 p.m. on Saturday), allowing persons to enter the Harrison County Fairgrounds and walk around.
• I’m just another concerned citizen telling people to quit worrying what other people are doing with their property that they’re paying taxes on and have bought. Keep your eyes on your own property.
• What is happening to our country? Weekly mass shootings. Low vaccination rates. NBA players being assaulted by fans. PGA golfers being mobbed as they approach their final green. By the luck of our birth, we were born and live in this amazing country. Let’s make America great again. I hope our new administration can help lead us back towards a more civil society.
• If Walmart and JayC have those spots for people to park and have them bring the groceries out to them instead of going in, I don’t understand why those spots have to be up at the front of the parking lot. Seems to me like all they’re doing is inconveniencing all the people who do go in the store who then have to park farther back in the lot to walk past the people who aren’t getting out of their cars.