Posted on

Two killed in separate crashes

Two killed in separate crashes Two killed in separate crashes

Two Corydon residents were killed in separate crashes last week.

On Saturday, Austin Rengers, 18, died in a rear-end collision at about 2:30 p.m. on S.R. 135 at the intersection with Angelo Road north of Corydon.

According to a Harrison County Sheriff’s Dept. report, a witness told officers at the scene that he had seen the Harley-Davidson motorcycle that Rengers was driving moments before the crash, near S.R. 135 and Landmark Avenue, traveling north and passing illegally and speeding. The witness also said the motorcyclist “took off” at a high speed after getting through the intersection with Quarry Road.
Brooke Richert, 21, of Clarksville, who was driving a blue Chevrolet Traverse, was stopped on S.R. 135, facing north, waiting to turn left onto Angelo Road. According to Richert, her passenger and a witness, Richert had her left turn signal on.

The Traverse was rear-ended by the motorcycle. According to the report, Rengers was not wearing a helmet and died at the scene.
Richert, who is pregnant, did not complain of any injuries but was transported by ambulance to the emergency room at Harrison County Hospital in Corydon for evaluation.

Last Monday night, Brenda C. Groce, 80, died when her vehicle, a tan 2005 Ford Taurus SE, collided head-on with a blue 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser driven by Jocelyn E. Crawford, 16, of Corydon.

The crash occurred at about 9:30 p.m. on S.R. 135 near S.R. 62.

According to a report officer Glen Speece of the sheriff’s department, Crawford was driving south on S.R. 135 behind another vehicle which swerved out of the way as Groce’s vehicle, which was traveling north on S.R. 135, had crossed left of center. Crawford, who said she did not see Groce’s vehicle until the last second, was unable to avoid the collision, according to the report.
Groce was extracted from the vehicle and was transported via ambulance to Harrison County Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Crawford was transported via helicopter to a hospital in Evansville for leg injuries sustained in the crash.