January 1, 2020
Live Wire. We ask that calls be brief and less than one minute. All comments will be reviewed and those meeting our criteria will be published in the Live Wire column. Libelous comments, rumors, personal attacks and political endorsements will not be published. TheCorydon Democrat reserves the right to edit all material. 812-738-6503
• I saw on Facebook that the (Harrison) County Highway (Dept.) got to have another big Christmas party and invite family and friends. It would be nice if all the county employees were treated to something like that.
• The roads in Harrison County in the third district are in the worst shape I have ever seen. …
• In the Dec. 25 Live Wire, there was a comment by a person who claims that democracy and republic are synonymous. Well, perhaps in the universe you live in but not in the real world we inhabit.
• Could someone please tell me what’s going on with the Waffle House? I thought they were remodeling but they’ve been closed an awful long time for that. Anybody, please, tell me what’s going on?
• This is how to survive a cold, winter night in the Hoosier state. There’s just something about a freezing cold night in Indiana. A fierce howling wind swirling around bringing a skift of snow around the high school parking lot in January. After finally finding a parking lot, hopefully, with a space and the unlocked door of a gymnasium, you make your way inside. And, as you enter in, there comes a delicious aroma of fresh, buttered popcorn. You’re walking into a steam-filled gym, crowd noise, pep band music, horns blaring and the squeaky sound of sneakers on the hardwood. It’s worth the wait, especially if that local team wins in a barn-burner fashion. That’s the thing that gets me through those harsh Hoosier winters in Southern Indiana. If we can just make it to March, everything’s going to be OK because that’s when the real madness begins.
• You know I like that commercial on TV that shows a woman and two kids going in a pharmacy and giving the woman her prescription and ask her how much it will be and she gives her a price, outrageous you know. Ungodly amount of money. Then, when she sees that she can’t make no sale, she tells the woman, “Hey, wait a minute. I’ve got this coupon here that you can go on the phone and get.” We’ll give it to you for ungodly amount less. Why not just give the prescription to her at the lower price and be done with it … ? No wonder the world is in the shape that it’s in.
• Today I was at the Goodwill store to pick up some of the special colored items when I noticed that a girl was going around picking all the yellow tagged items off the racks. How’s anybody going to find the specials? Some people depend on those. So, today it was supposed to be half off and tomorrow it’s supposed to be 99 cents. There’s not going to be anything there to find.
• I will never understand why some people don’t realize that they need to use their lights on their car at dusk and dawn and all inclement weather. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. I guess they just don’t have common sense. That’s all I can think of.