Posted on

Man arrested after exposing self near daycare

Man arrested after exposing self near daycare
Man arrested after exposing self near daycare

A Corydon man was arrested last week after allegedly exposing himself to a child and an employee at a Corydon daycare.
James L. Anderson, 55, was arrested Thursday evening about two hours after being accused of displaying his genitals outside of Rainbow’s End Child Care.
The Corydon Police Dept. was notified at 5:09 p.m. that a man had exposed himself to a child outside at the daycare and an adult reported that it appeared the man had taken pictures of children with his cell phone.
While on their way to the daycare, police saw Anderson, who matched the description of the man at the daycare, sitting on a bench in front of the Harrison County Public Library and stopped to talk with him. According to a police report, Anderson denied being near the daycare and allowed officers to look at his phone; no pictures of children were found on the device.
The police continued on to the daycare, where they spoke with the child who said the man had walked up to her and exposed his ‘privates.’ With consent from the child’s parents, police showed the child six photos of men, one being Anderson. The child indicated it was Anderson whom she had seen. The daycare employee also ID’d Anderson as the man outside of the daycare.
At about 7:15 p.m. while looking for Anderson in the area near his residence in the 400 block of East Walnut Street, police saw him run into a wooded area. Anderson entered a home in the 300 block without permission, the report said, and the homeowner had grabbed him and forced him outside. Police found Anderson in the backyard of the residence and took him into custody.
Anderson was charged with two felonies, residential entry break and enter dwelling and public nudity with a prior unrelated conviction, and public nudity, a misdemeanor.
Julia Baylor, director of Children’s Services for Blue River Services Inc., which owns Rainbow’s End, said it was ‘very unfortunate’ that some of the children were outside when the incident occurred. However, ‘at no time was he on our property,’ she said.
Baylor said she believes the daycare staff’s training and quick action helped aid police in a prompt arrest of Anderson.
‘The safety of our children is always top priority,’ Baylor said.