Posted on

2 homes destroyed by separate fires

2 homes destroyed by separate fires
2 homes destroyed by separate fires
Fire consumes a home along Spring Branch Road east of New Salisbury Monday afternoon. Firefighters estimated that 70 to 80 percent of the home had been destroyed by the time they were able to reach it. Photo by Ross Schulz

Two recent fires have resulted in the total loss of two homes.
A fire on Monday in the 3000 block of Spring Branch Road was called in to Harrison County Dispatch shortly after noon, with the first units on the scene reporting heavy fire when they arrived seven minutes after the dispatch.
‘It had been burning a while before we got the call from a neighbor,’ Ned Wiseman, chief of the Ramsey Volunteer Fire Dept., said. ‘The first ones on the scene estimated the home was 70 to 80 percent gone by the time we arrived.’
Because the home was located at the end of a long driveway, only one fire truck was able to get to the fire, with additional equipment being staged elsewhere. The fire was under control at about 1:10 p.m.
Wiseman said two dogs in the home escaped, and there were no injuries as a total of 18 firefighters from Ramsey, Palmyra and Harrison Township responded to the scene.
‘The state fire marshal came out the day of the fire and said it appeared to be a baseboard heater that started the fire,’ Wiseman said.
The homeowner, Walter Pauly, is staying with his mother. According to a message from Pauly’s church, Corydon Presbyterian, CPC is accepting meals as Pauly deals with the situation. Donations of small-size meals can be taken to the church by tomorrow (Thursday) and should be clearly marked as to what it is and who it’s for.
The home of the Lance Kingrey family was lost to fire early Monday morning.
Michael Riley, chief of the New Middletown Volunteer Fire Dept., said the call was received at 1:39 a.m. of a fully engulfed fire.
Riley said the fire department had been to the two-story house, located at 4700 Shewmaker Lane near Elizabeth, on Sunday for a possible structure fire. That was determined to be ashes removed from a woodstove that had been knocked over by a dog, according to the homeowner, Riley said.
‘We ventilated the home with our fans to get the smoke out,’ the fire chief said.
Due to the smell, Riley said the family opted to spend the night in a hotel, so no one was home when the fire broke out Monday morning.
‘A neighbor called it in,’ Riley said.
Firefighters from Elizabeth and Boone Township Volunteer Fire departments also assisted. Riley said the American Red Cross also rendered aid.
The state fire marshal also visited the scene of this fire and ruled it as undetermined.
Riley said the Kingrey family had insurance on the house that was on the market.
Details about a house fire Monday night along S.R. 66 north Milltown were not available yesterday afternoon.

LATEST NEWS