Posted on

Funeral director charged after dispute with wife

Funeral director charged after dispute with wife
Funeral director charged after dispute with wife
Todd Arvin

A Grantsburg man was arrested early Thursday morning after an alleged altercation with his wife that ended with him allegedly shooting her car as she was leaving.
Todd Arvin, 41, who is the director at the Denbo Funeral Home in English and Dillman-Green Funeral Home in Marengo, surrendered to police four hours after police arrived at his home. Despite his vehicle being at the property, attempts by phone and loudspeaker to make contact with Arvin failed.
Deputy Marcus Rogers of the Crawford County Sheriff’s Dept, in an affidavit for probable cause filed Thursday, said he responded to a call from Crawford County Dispatch at 10:42 p.m. Wednesday to meet with Arvin’s wife, Heather, at the judicial complex in English.
Heather Arvin told Rogers that her husband ‘had been drinking vodka all day and also ingested Xanax,’ Rogers said. ‘She reported that they became involved in a verbal argument. Heather said the fight escalated to Todd kicking her in her side and head. Ms. Arvin said she told him to stop, but he wouldn’t.’
Rogers said Heather Arvin, who was checked by Crawford County Emergency Medical Services personnel for injuries, was able to flee to her car, a Toyota Camry. However, as she was driving away, ‘she heard a loud pop and later realized that her husband had shot at the car as she was leaving the property.’ After picking up her daughter at Crawford County Junior-Senior High School, Arvin drove around for a few hours, before going to the judicial complex after realizing her husband was following her, he said.
Rogers said he ‘observed the damage to the Camry door where the bullet struck the passenger door above the door handle,’ adding the bullet did not go through the door.
Unable to locate Todd Arvin in English, CCSD deputies went to his home at 62 W. Union Chapel Road, arriving at about 11:25 p.m. After a warrant was signed by Harrison County Superior Court Judge Roger D. Davis, Indiana State Police Emergency Response Team members arrived.
Despite not answering police for hours, Arvin informed officers at about 3:30 a.m. that he was coming out of the house. After being taken into custody without incident, he was transferred to the Crawford County Jail.
Arvin was charged with Class C attempted battery, Class D criminal recklessness and Class D pointing a firearm at another person, all felonies stemming from his alleged use of a weapon, a 9 mm Smith and Wesson handgun, and Class A misdemeanor domestic battery.
Initial bond was set at $20,000 full cash.