Posted on

Soccer sweep: Corydon over NH

Soccer sweep: Corydon over NH
Soccer sweep: Corydon over NH
Corydon CentralÂ’s Bryce Brocar attempts a shot before the ball passes the end line while North HarrisonÂ’s Gary Young (17) pursues. Photo by Brian Smith (click for larger version)

Last Wednesday’s meeting between the Corydon Central and North Harrison boys’ soccer team was a physical dogfight between the Mid-Southern Conference rivals.
Tied going into the second half, Corydon Central scored on a goal by Cory Thomas, set up by Isidro Chavez, with 35 minutes remaining in the match. Corydon Central would preserve the lead, and eventually win, 2-1.
Both goals for the Panthers came from Thomas, the leading goal scorer on the season for his team.
It took little time for Corydon Central to get on the board first. Thomas netted a goal when he headed a ball into the back of the net in the second minute.
North Harrison, however, fired back quickly. In the fifth minute, Cougar forward Hunter Gray squared up a shot on target that slipped through the legs of the Corydon Central keeper. The goal lifted North Harrison’s spirits back up, knotting the match at 1.
‘We had some nice goals, made some nice passes to set up other shots,’ Corydon Central coach Jeff Salomon said. ‘The first half, North shouldn’t have scored, but the ball sneaks through. If they don’t score, it’s a shutout. It made it a whole different game.’
During the course of the next 35 minutes, neither team was able to score before the halftime whistle. There were, however, plenty of whistles to slow the pace of play. It was something that was noticed by Salomon.
‘North Harrison is a very physical team, and, in the first half, everything gets called,’ he said. ‘In the second half, the referee didn’t call much and then both teams get mad because they are getting hit and there are no calls. When guys are slide tackling all over the place, no one is going to play the same way. You’re just kicking the ball around.’
Corydon Central, in the second half, took quick advantage of a North Harrison foul. Chavez took the free kick in the final third, quickly passing to an open Thomas on the opposite side of the field. Thomas then drove home the game winner with 34:04 left in the game.
The rest of the way was physical on both ends. Two yellow cards were issued, both to Corydon Central players.
North Harrison’s best opportunity to equalize came with 4:30 remaining. Off a Corydon Central foul, setting up a free kick, Gray took a blast from about 25 yards away. The Panthers keeper, Austin Leupp, made a jumping save on the ball.
‘We didn’t play well at all,’ Salomon said. ‘North Harrison played hard; they were physical and took it to us.’
The coach said Corydon Central wasn’t into the flow of the game.
‘It was old school kickball the whole game,’ he said. ‘We didn’t come out and play hard all around. The guys figured they would win this game, but North Harrison showed up to play.’
The Cougars will return to action Saturday when they host Charlestown at 10 a.m. Corydon Central, which played to a 3-3 tie against Heritage Hills Saturday, will play at Lanesville today (Wednesday) then return to MSC action tomorrow, hosting Austin, to see if it can remain undefeated in league play.