Posted on

Lady Panthers land last blow at C’town

Lady Panthers land last blow at C’town
Lady Panthers land last blow at C’town
Corydon CentralÂ’s Regan Mosley takes a shot attempt over CharlestownÂ’s Emily Young during the Lady PanthersÂ’ 50-45 win Thursday. Photo by Brian Smith (click for larger version)

It took overtime, but Corydon Central came away Thursday with a 50-45 victory at Charlestown. In the extra session, the Lady Pirates were held to two points after their leading scorer was ejected with 1:21 to play.
Corydon Central scored the first points of overtime when Symphony LeJeune hit a jumper from just inside the left arc, giving the Lady Panthers a 45-43 lead.
From that point, the game took an interesting turn. On a Corydon Central possession, Lady Panther Regan Mosley and Charlestown’s Shelby Nash battled in the paint for position. With arms tangled, the referee called a foul on Mosley. As Nash, who was leading the Lady Pirates with 17 points, came up, she took a swing at Mosley and was immediately ejected.
‘I thought (Nash) was the one that had Regan hooked, but I guess the ref saw it the other way, and then she threw a punch,’ said Corydon Central coach Michael Uhl.
Taryn Moore missed the one-and-one bonus free-throw attempt for Charlestown, while Marie Rothrock buried both technical foul shots to give Corydon Central a 47-43 edge.
‘She missed the free throw; we hit ours and got the ball back,’ Uhl said. ‘It worked out well.’
Charlestown cut the lead to two with 44 seconds left when Megan Brooks hit a field goal. Corydon Central, after struggling at the foul line through four quarters, made good on 3 of 4 attempts inside the final 30 seconds. Rachel Deaton made two, while LeJeune had one.
LeJeune led a balanced scoring attack from Corydon Central with nine points. Rothrock and Mosley had eight each, while Savannah Eschbacher and Taylor Frederick had seven points.
With the exception of a 6-0 Charlestown start to the game, the Lady Panthers never relinquished the lead.
Eschbacher hit a basket in the first quarter to give Corydon Central an 8-6 lead. A 14-3 spurt during the final 5:45 of the first session landed the Lady Panthers a 14-9 lead after eight minutes.
Charlestown ended the first half with 14 turnovers. A Deaton 3-pointer gave Corydon Central a 21-13 lead, its largest of the half.
The host rallied to tie the game at 22 when Nash sank a pair of free throws; however, Corydon Central closed the half on a 5-2 run.
Starting the second quarter with a field goal from Justice Avery and a Rothrock trey seemed to get the momentum Corydon Central’s way. Charlestown, however, fought back to tie the game at 33 with a Kaitlynn Henning triple.
The final quarter was evenly played, but Charlestown could never snag the go-ahead point. Nash tied the game at 43 with 54 seconds remaining. The Lady Panthers held for the last shot but missed two opportunities in the paint, sending the game to the overtime.
‘We have to learn to finish games off better,’ Uhl said. ‘End-of-game situations have to get better. It’s early, but luckily both teams were a mess at the end.’
Corydon Central forced Charlestown into 24 turnovers for the game while committing 17.
Neither team was pleasant from the free-throw line with Corydon Central going 9 of 22 while Charlestown was 12 of 14.
‘We didn’t shoot well from the line or the field,’ Uhl said.
Uhl said he was glad to escape Charlestown with a Mid-Southern Conference win.
‘A lot of things we can get from this,’ he said. ‘It is a conference game on the road. All these conference games are going to be like this. We talked in the locker room. You win on the road, it’s a good thing. And it isn’t like we lit this place up last year in the sectional either.’
Corydon Central will host Bedford North Lawrence Saturday at 1:30 p.m.