Fire leaves Milltown family homeless
A late afternoon fire last Monday that took three departments to contain left a Milltown family homeless just four days before Christmas.
When firefighters from Milltown Volunteer Fire Department arrived, they found an outer wall already in flames with heavy smoke coming from the upper-floor windows.
‘When we got here, it was going up the wall next to the flue,’ Milltown VFD Chief Scott Dubois said.
With Milltown United Methodist Church next door and several homes in close proximity, calls went out to both the Marengo and Ramsey volunteer fire departments for extra manpower and equipment.
The stubborn and smoky fire was mostly contained to the upper floor and attic, but hot spots entered the walls, making them difficult to locate. Firefighters had to cut several holes in the walls and ceiling to reach those spots to keep the fire from spreading.
‘There was a lot of insulation and paper,’ Dubois said.
It took about three hours to get the fire under control.
Other agencies responding were the Milltown Police Department, Crawford County Sheriff’s Department, Crawford County Emergency Medical Services and Crawford County Emergency Management Agency.
Jimmy and Karla Andrews, who were renting the house from Tony Mace, did not have insurance on the home’s contents. While a few items on the first floor, which sustained heavy smoke and water damage, were saved, most of the contents of the upper floor were destroyed.
Megan Hunter, a friend of the family, said an account for monetary donations was being set up for the family at MainSource Bank in Marengo. She said the family has been getting help from the community.
‘They’ve had so many donate clothes and even dishes, but they don’t have a house,’ Hunter said. ‘They’ve had a lot of help so far.’