House has fire 3 different times in 5 days
Firefighters from Ramsey Volunteer Fire Dept. were dispatched to a house off Corydon-Ramsey Road three times in five days.
Lonnie Leake, chief of the Ramsey VFD, said that about 11:20 p.m. last Wednesday, they were sent to the modular home, located between Kost and Flatwood roads, when a fire started in front of the fireplace. Firefighters cleared the scene about an hour later.
At least some of the family, who Leake identified as a husband, wife, and four children, ages 19, 18, 10 and 3, were home at the time. The mother discovered the fire when she was awakened by her 10-year-old son coughing.
On Saturday evening, about 4:25, firefighters again were called to the home, this time for a fire in the kitchen. No one was home at the time. The fire was reported by a passerby.
Again, firefighters cleared the scene in about hour. Palmyra Volunteer Fire Dept. also responded Saturday evening. Members of that department encountered problems when one of their trucks got stuck off the road at a hydrant where it was refilling. Corydon-Ramsey Road was shut down to through traffic during that time.
About 6:20 a.m. Sunday, firefighters were sent a third time to the home.
‘It was a fully involved fire when we got there that time,’ Leake said, adding that no one was in the residence at the time of the fire.
Firefighters from Palmyra and Milltown VFD also assisted.
Leake said the family had insurance and the American Red Cross was called to provide assistance.