Posted on

This old house gets a new home

This old house gets a new home
This old house gets a new home
Traffic lines up behind a house as it is moved south on S.R. 135 next to Hayswood Nature Reserve. The home, which was built in 1959, was moved from its former foundation along Quarry Road to a new foundation behind the Junior Barks' residence south of Harrison-Heth Road, north of Central. (Photo by Alan Stewart)

‘It’s really odd to see the place you grew up rolling down the road like that.’
Those were the words of Jim Bube as he watched his childhood home take a slow, lumbering 10-mile ride, taking up both lanes of S.R. 135 Thursday morning.
‘I’m just happy that someone is going to use it instead of having it torn down,’ he said while holding a video camera to record every minute of the move.
Construction on the 2,000-square-foot brick home began in 1958, and the family moved in the following year. The house, located on the south side of Quarry Road, once stood as the final piece of the now-extinct Old Capital Popcorn Co. farm.
Later, the house served as an office for Work One, an agency that provides job placement, counseling, basic skills and vocational training. Work One eventually vacated the premises, and Flannery and Sons of New Salisbury began deconstructing the home in September.
‘We took off the garage, a family room and cleaned everything out of the basement, then jacked it off the foundation,’ said L.D. Flannery, adding that the house tipped the scales at approximately 34 tons. ‘We did everything but move the place.’
The moving part was taken care of by Edwards Moving and Rigging Inc., located in Louisville.
The Harrison County Sheriff’s Dept. blocked traffic north and south along the route, which began with a turn east on Quarry Road, then a turn south on S.R. 135. At each traffic signal along the route, the giant truck towing the house would come to a crawl, and Edwards’ workers Craig Roberts and A.J. Aldridge ‘ who were riding on top of the structure ‘ would check to make sure it would clear support wires.
The entire trip to Junior and Rose Barks’ property near Harrison-Heth Road took about 90 minutes from start to finish.
Bube was joined by his sister, Carolyn Forbes, and the Barks’ daughter-in-law, Joanna Barks, in recording the event on photo and video cameras.
The house is now sitting 10 feet in the air, on jacks, ready for a new foundation.
‘We’ll get the basement poured underneath there and set it back down for (the Barks) to live in,’ Flannery said. ‘It should be good for a pretty good while.’