Posted on

Elizabeth family loses home, again, to fire

Last Thanksgiving, John and Elizabeth Fischer, an elderly Elizabeth couple, lost their home in an early evening fire on Sandy Branch Road. After the fire, the Fischers salvaged what they could and moved into a mobile home next door that the couple owned.
Last Friday afternoon, the Fischers lost everything when their mobile home was also destroyed by a fire. The Elizabeth Volunteer Fire Dept. had firefighters on the scene within minutes, but they couldn’t save it.
‘It was pretty much engulfed when we got here,’ said firefighter Joey LaPlant. ‘We weren’t able to save anything; it was just too far gone.’
The Fischers weren’t at home when the fire broke out. Neighbors saw smoke coming from the residence and called for help.
‘Everything was turned off, including the air conditioner,’ said the Fischers’ son, Robert. ‘It looks like the fire started in the kitchen area, but it’s really difficult to tell for sure.’
As firefighters Bill Simpson and J.R. Hines used a hose to water down the few remaining ‘hot spots,’ other firefighters dragged smoldering mattresses and bedding out of the structure to be sure everything was extinguished.
‘I put my little dog inside just before we left,’ said Elizabeth Fischer, who was being comforted by friends at the scene. ‘I don’t know where he is.’
A few minutes later, firefighters informed her that they had found her dog. It had perished in the fire.

LATEST NEWS