Posted on

A Purple Heart for Bryan Trusty

A Purple Heart for Bryan Trusty
A Purple Heart for Bryan Trusty
Gen. Michael W. Hagee, commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, pins the Purple Heart on Cpl. Bryan Trusty at a hospital in Bethesda, Md. (Photo by Mary Trusty)

Bryan Trusty, the young Corydon Marine who suffered severe brain injuries last spring in an insurgent terrorist attack on the Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, is recovering steadily and may be able to come home for good next month.
Steve Trusty said Thursday that his son is ‘doing a lot better’ and his attitude is ‘real good’ following the last of about 10 brain surgeries since he was almost killed by a grenade in a guard tower last April 2, 11 days before his 21st birthday.
Gen. Michael W. Hagee, 33rd commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps, presented Cpl. Trusty with a Purple Heart at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., about two weeks ago.
Ten terrorists were killed and about 50 wounded when they set off car bombs and attacked the huge prison where more than 3,000 prisoners are held. No Americans soldiers were killed but 44 were wounded.
Trusty and his unit had served one year in Baghdad and were scheduled to come home when he volunteered to be a prison guard at the prison made famous by prisoner abuse.
Trusty is a patient at Bethesda. His last surgery was Aug. 7 when doctors inserted stints and coils in a blood vessel to stop the bleeding in his head from an aneurysm, Steve said.
During the terrorist attack on the prison, Trusty suffered three major head wounds from shrapnel: on the top of his head, on his right forehead, and under his left eye. The shrapnel under his eye went through his head and damaged his brain stem. His right forearm was broken.
Steve Trusty said his son had so many shrapnel wounds in his body he looked like someone had shot him point-blank with a shotgun. The only place where he wasn’t wounded was his torso, which was protected by a flak jacket. After many operations and extensive treatment at Bethesda, Bryan was sent to a hospital in Tampa Bay, Fla., for physical therapy before going back to Bethesda for more operations. His last surgery is scheduled for Sept. 7. Steve said doctors want to examine their work thus far and make sure everything is OK.
Steve said Bryan can walk but still suffers from head pain. ‘It’s not like a headache, he said it’s more like his head is in a vice,’ Steve said. Doctors said he can expect the head pain to last about a year.