William M. Griffin Jr.
William M. (Tim) Griffin Jr., 92, Indianapolis, died Tuesday, July 26, 2005.
A native of Corydon, born Sept. 10, 1912, he was the son of the late William Maurice Sr. and Charlotte A. Rupp Griffin.
He was a 1930 graduate of Corydon High School and earned a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering in 1934 from Purdue University. He was a commander in the U.S. Navy Seabees having served in the South Pacific.
He was a member of Scottish Rite, Valley of Indianapolis, Pisgah Lodge 32 Free and Accepted Masons in Corydon, Royal Arch Masons 156 in Corydon, Murat Temple of the Shrine, Chi Epsilon civil engineering honorary fraternity, and John Purdue Club of Indianapolis. He was a charter member of St. Andrew Presbyterian Church, where he served as deacon from 1957 to 1959, elder and clerk of the session from 1960 to 1962, and was named trustee from 1964 to 1966.
He served as a designing engineer in Indiana with the State Highway Commission’s bridge department from 1935 to 1940, and American Creosoting Co. of Louisville from 1940 to 1941. He served as a field engineer for Swift and Co. in Chicago, where he handled dairy and poultry construction in Kentucky and Tennessee from 1946 to 1948, a designing engineer and estimator for contractors with A.K. Adams and Co. of Atlanta, and was vice president of Baker Forms Co. of Indianapolis until he retired in 1983 after 31 years.
Having been active in athletics in high school and college, he served as manager of the Fifth United States Naval Construction Battalion baseball team, which won two championships during World War II.
As a member of the Purdue Association of Indianapolis, he was treasurer and president.
Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Laura Richert Griffin; three daughters, Jane Klonowski, Kate Shine and Lisa Dum; a brother, Fred Griffin of Corydon, and eight grandchildren.
Funeral: Saturday, July 30, at Flanner and Buchanan Funeral Home in Indianapolis with burial in Cedar Hill Cemetery in Corydon.
The family suggests memorial gifts to the John Purdue Club of Indianapolis or the St. Andrew Presbyterian Church Memorial Fund.