Posted on

Crandall woman dies in house fire

A Crandall woman apparently died of smoke inhalation after the house where she lived was destroyed by fire Sunday evening.
The body of Theresa Ann Gagne Stromire, 42, was pulled from the one-story structure by firefighters after they contained the blaze.
She was the only person at home when the fire broke out.
Harrison County Chief Deputy Coroner Malcolm McMakin said a bed in the house had caught fire earlier in the day and apparently continued to burn unnoticed on the inside of the mattress until the house caught fire while Stromire was sleeping in another area of the house.
Ramsey Volunteer Fire Dept. responded and was assisted by firefighters from several other fire departments throughout the county.
A neighbor said they could hear moaning when neighbors first arrived at the house after noticing the fire. One person broke out a window and used a garden hose to try to contain the fire until firefighters arrived.
McMakin said Stromire’s death is consistent with acute smoke inhalation. Results from toxicology tests are pending, he said.
Stromire was a native of Madrid, Spain, born April 18 1963, the daughter of Shirley Griffey Gagne of Jeffersonville and the late William Gagne.
Survivors besides her mother include a son, Jodaine Gagne of New Albany; a daughter, Trena Gagne of Crandall; two brothers, Larry Gagne of New Hampshire and David Gagne of Oklahoma; two sisters, Marlene Stevens of Jeffersonville and Judy Law of Louisville, and two grandchildren.
Arrangements are private. Seabrook Dieckmann & Naville Funeral Home on Oak Street in New Albany is handling the arrangements.