Posted on

Police believe man shot himself as ISP ER team closed in

A Depauw man was in critical condition yesterday after allegedly shooting himself Monday evening after keeping police at bay for almost eight hours.
Harry G. Swaney, 58, was taken by ambulance to University Hospital in Louisville about 8:30 p.m. Monday after members of the Indiana State Police Emergency Response Team (ERT) entered Swaney’s residence in northern Harrison County, according to Officer Anthony Mills of the Harrison County Sheriff’s Dept.
Mills said he was notified Monday by the Harrison County Superior Court Probation Dept. that Swaney was in violation of his probation. (Swaney was arrested Dec. 5, 2004, on charges of unlawful pointing of a firearm and battery, Mills said.)
After obtaining the necessary paperwork, Mills and three other county police officers went to Swaney’s single-wide trailer on Blue River Ridge Drive between 12:30 and 1 p.m. to serve the arrest warrant, Mills said.
‘When we attempted to serve the warrant, we were told we were not welcome on his property,’ Mills said.
‘We backed off the property and called for the ERT,’ he said.
Gary Gilley, chief of the Harrison County Sheriff’s Dept., said county police officers secured the scene and stood by while ERT members assembled from all across Southern Indiana.
‘We replaced our officers with state police as they arrived,’ Gilley said.
County officers secured an outer perimeter around the Swaney home.
No one else was in the trailer with Swaney at the time officers tried to serve the warrant, Mills said.
About 8:30 p.m., members of the Emergency Response Team entered the trailer to find Swaney bleeding from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound.
He was taken by ambulance to University Hospital. (STATCARE air ambulance service had been on standby, but by the time it was needed, fog had developed over the region and preventing the helicopter from flying.)
‘I’m sorry (Swaney) was injured in the end,’ Gilley said, ‘and I’m thankful that no innocent bystanders were hurt.’