Posted on

2nd man charged in Camm murders

Another man has been arrested and charged with the September 2000 murders of a Georgetown woman and her two children while the deceased woman’s husband, former Indiana State Police Trooper David Camm, who was convicted of the murders in 2002, is out of prison on bond and awaiting a new trial on the murder charges.
Charles D. Boney, 35, of Louisville, was arrested Friday night and arraigned Monday afternoon in Floyd County. He has been charged with the murders of Kimberly Camm and her children, Jill and Bradley, plus possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and being a habitual felon.
Floyd County Prosecutor Keith Henderson was granted a 72-hour continuance Monday afternoon to complete his investigation.
Boney, ordered held without bond, is scheduled to appear in court today (Wednesday) at 1:30 p.m.
Police questioned Boney, a former Floyd County resident, last week after testing confirmed that his DNA was on a sweatshirt found in the Camm garage the night of the murders.
Camm’s attorneys say Boney has a record of violent crime. He served prison time after a 1993 conviction in Monroe County for two counts of armed robbery, one count robbery, criminal recklessness and three counts of confinement. He was released in June 2000, less than four months before the triple homicide in Georgetown. He alleges that he donated the sweatshirt to the Salvation Army about two months after his release from prison.
The prosecution still contends that Camm was involved in the murders, citing blood spatter found on the T-shirt he was wearing the night of the murders.
During the first trial, in 2002, Rod Englert of Portland, Ore., a crime scene reconstructionist and blood pattern analyst for 39 years, explained ‘mist or spray’ to the court. He testified that it returns to the shooter’s hand, up to four feet away, when there’s high-velocity spatter. Englert and other experts said that was on Camm’s T-shirt, and it could only have gotten there if Camm was present at the murders.
Englert also said under oath that there were ‘no absolutes’ when doing reconstruction work; rather, experts can only draw inferences.
In response to questions by Mike McDaniels, Camm’s attorney at the trial, Englert said he ‘could find no evidence that anyone else was involved.’
An expert for the defense, Terry L. Laber, who, at the time of the trial, was a forensic scientist for the Minnesota Forensic Science Lab in St. Paul, testified that the blood spatter found on Camm’s T-shirt was ‘consistent with what (Camm) said he did’ the night he found his family.
Laber also said if the killer were in the position suggested by the state, he would expect to find high velocity impact spatter on the upper area of the T-shirt. None was found there, though, he said.
Instead, blood found on the lower portion of the shirt is consistent with ‘contact staining,’ Laber said.
At Camm’s trial, Laber said he saw no indications that any attempt was made to clean up the crime scene before police arrived, as the prosecution suggested, and estimated the approximate time of death was between 7:30 and 8 p.m.
Camm claims he returned to his rural Georgetown home after playing basketball at Georgetown Community Church. He said he found his 35-year-old wife shot to death on the garage floor. Her shoes were found placed side by side on the roof of the couple’s Ford Bronco, a detail that mystified both the prosecution and defense.
(According to a 1989 arrest report, Boney admitted to having a ‘leg fetish,’ which led him to forcibly take shoes from several young women.)
The bodies of Camm’s children ‘ Bradley, 7, and Jill, 5 ‘ were found inside the Bronco, which was parked inside the garage. They also had been shot.
Seven of the 10 men who had played basketball that night with Camm took the stand in 2002. Their testimony differed on some details of that evening ‘ such as the order they arrived at the gym, how long each game lasted, and whether Camm sat out any games ‘ but they all said Camm was at the gym by 7 p.m. and did not leave the building until they quit playing and left about 9:20 p.m.
The DNA of an unknown person was made part of the court proceedings in 2002. A witness for the defense, DNA analyst Juliet Harris, said she examined the collar area of the sweatshirt, which Camm said was not his, and testified that the DNA belonged to a male subject that was not Camm. A forensic scientist with the Indiana State Police, Lynn Scamahorn, testified that the DNA was ‘probably’ that of a female.
Camm was sentenced in 2002 to 195 years in prison. He was released on a $20,000 cash bond late last month following the Indiana Supreme Court’s ruling in August that evidence ‘ testimony from several women who had affairs with Camm or who were propositioned by him ‘ prejudiced the jury against the former trooper and was not reasonably related to a motive for the murders. The Indiana Supreme Court voted 4-1 not to take the case.
Camm’s new trial is currently scheduled to begin Aug. 8 in Warrick County.