Posted on

Salomon leads rout of Cougars; Panthers blanked by Madison

Salomon leads rout of Cougars; Panthers blanked by Madison
Salomon leads rout of Cougars; Panthers blanked by Madison
Madison's Daniel Kelly (13) jostled with Brent Salomon of Corydon Central during the first half of last Thursday afternoon's soccer match here. (Photo by Alan Stewart)

Coming off a thrilling 6-2 come-from-behind win over Restoration Christian last week, senior captain Brent Salomon led an all-out kicking barrage by Corydon Central yesterday afternoon in high school soccer.
The team that had to suffer through the punishment was none other than visiting county-rival, North Harrison.
Salomon had five goals to power the host Panthers past North, 11-3.
Corydon (4-4-1) got on the board in the first 60 seconds of the match, when Corey Kitterman bounced one past Cougars freshman keeper Tyler Wood.
Kitterman struck again in the 11th minute on a pass from Salomon.
North Harrison closed the gap to 2-1 in the 22nd minute thanks to a penalty kick by one of two seniors on the squad, Ben Robertson.
Salomon marked the first of his five goals to put the lead at 3-1.
After showing off some dazzling footwork, Miguel Romero put one in the back of the net in the 27th minute and Harold VanGaasbeek added another point with a netter with just under five minutes left in the first half.
At the intermission, Corydon led, 5-1.
The hosts seemed to back off the offensive pressure early in the second half and the Cougars took advantage by scoring two unanswered goals.
The first came three minutes into the second stanza when sophomore Jarrett Beckett booted one into the hammock, and Jacob Klapheke, a freshman, brought North even closer when he connected on a penalty kick in the 10th minute.
That’s when Salomon went on a personal assault, scoring four of the next five goals for Corydon in a span of just eight minutes.
VanGaasbeek and John Lackey picked up the final two points for the winners.
In all, Corydon had 34 shots on goal while North had just 11.
In the win over Restoration, Corydon trailed 2-1 with just 25 minutes left in regulation and came back with five unanswered goals.
Visiting Madison picked up its first win of the season Thursday afternoon after posting a 3-0 shutout over Corydon.
The Cubs (1-1-2), which arrived a half-hour late for the 6:30 kickoff, scored two in the first half and one early in the second and withstood a barrage of shots by the host Panthers to come away winners.
The match was barely two minutes old when junior midfielder Marcelo Meijome punched in a volley from fellow midfielder Victor Colussi. Colussi passed the ball to freshman Troy Lock, who touched it to Meijome for the eventual game-winner.
With 19:42 remaining in the first, Madison hit paydirt again when sophomore Brian Busching ticked one over the outstretched arms of Corydon goalie Kenny Fisher.
Three minutes later, the Panthers avoided going down 3-0 when a Madison goal was disallowed because the player booted the ball while in the keeper’s box.
At the half, the Cubs were up, 2-0, on 10 shots on goal. Corydon had six shots at that point.
Madison drove home the final nail early in the second half when Meijome blasted a long shot from the right side for his second point of the match.