Posted on

Fires destroy 2 homes

Two Corydon homes several blocks apart were destroyed by fire last week within a day of each other, but no one was hurt.
A two-apartment woodframe house at 747 N. Capitol Ave. owned by Darrell Conrad burned Friday night, leaving one renter homeless.
The other home, at 523 E. Chestnut St. owned by Rose Hynes, 67, burned Thursday afternoon across the street from the Gerdon Youth Center.
Corydon Volunteer Fire Dept. Chief Kevin Barrow said the fire at the Hynes’ home apparently started late in the afternoon around a gas cook stove in the kitchen. Hynes was at home. She had just finished having some tea in the living room when her eyes started burning. She called 911 for help and they told her to leave the house immediately. She ran out the front door. “They saved my life, absolutely,” she said.
“I’m alive. I thank God for that,” she said as she called her family in Louisville from executive director Debbie Heazlitt’s office at the Gerdon Youth Center.
Corydon and Harrison Township firefighters battled the fire for 45 minutes trying to get it under control and then stayed for an additional two hours dousing hot spots. The house, once owned by the Miller family and recently remodeled by the former owners, Bart and Janet Zimmerman, had several layers of siding on the walls and two roofs.
Firefighters from New Middletown filled air bottles and volunteers from other departments came to help. The Harrison Township ladder truck was brought in to aim water through second-story windows.
A fire marshal inspected the damage that afternoon and said the fire was accidental. An insurance company will continue the investigation, Barrow said.
Barrow didn’t leave the scene until midnight.
Matt Bennett, an investigator with the state fire marshal’s office in Evansville, inspected the Conrad house Monday morning and said it probably started in the gas furnace. The case is still under investigation. The wood frame house was gutted.
Again, the New Middletown volunteers assisted the Corydon and Harrison Township firefighters with the blaze.

LATEST NEWS