Posted on

Leavenworth man dies from accidental gunshot wound

A Leavenworth man died last Tuesday evening, Feb. 4, at his home from what police and medical examiners believe was an accidental gunshot wound to the head.
Jeremy F. Stewart, 25, who lived on Mansfield Road, was pronounced dead at the scene from a single wound from a .38 caliber revolver.
Crawford County Central Dispatch received the initial call from Stewart’s wife, Amanda, who said her husband had been shot. Sheriff Richard Scott, along with two deputies and the Leavenworth Volunteer Fire Dept., went to the scene with Leavenworth Marshal Tom Young.
“It appeared he had died instantly,” Scott said.
After talking with people who were at Stewart’s home that day, police learned Stewart had been inspecting the revolver and thought it was empty when the gun fired.
“Apparently he thought he had dropped all the shells from the cylinder,” Scott said, adding that some .38 caliber bullets were found in Stewart’s pocket.
Scott and Crawford County Coroner Steve Arnold agreed the incident should be treated as an accidental death because no sign of a homicide or suicide has been detected.
“We felt like it was accidental,” Arnold said, adding that Indiana State Police Crime Scene Technician Jeff Franklin agreed. “All the law enforcement agencies agreed.”
“There was nothing at the scene that would indicate foul play,” Scott added.
Scott said the investigation is continuing, to make sure everything is checked out. The body was sent to the Jefferson County (Ky.) Coroner’s Office for an autopsy, which is common when deaths aren’t from natural causes.
“We just wanted to research it a little more,” Arnold said.
Arnold said preliminary findings show the death was accidental, but the final results of toxicology tests may not be ready for a month.
“Nothing else has indicated anything different than what we thought,” he said.
A native of Louisville, Stewart was the general manager of Stewart’s Home Furnishings in Corydon.
Besides his wife, the former Amanda Dickerson, Stewart is survived by two sons, Jesse and Nathan Stewart; his parents, Skip and Tina Stewart; a sister, Stacy Stewart, and his grandmother, Mildred Stewart.
The funeral was Saturday, Feb. 8, at W.G. Hardy-Shively Chapel in Louisville with burial in the Louisville Memorial Gardens-West.