Source: The Corydon Democrat

Remove Images

Woman seeks belongings 10 years after killings

by Alan Stewart

April 29, 2014

Two men convicted in a 2004 murder and attempted murder came face-to-face with one of their victims Friday in Harrison Superior Court.

John Michael Naylor was sentenced to 120-1/2 years in prison for the June 12, 2004, murder of Myrtle Satterfield, formerly of Marengo, the attempted murder of her daughter, Linda Pittman, who was in court last week, and related crimes. Also found guilty in the case was Hobert (Albert) Pittman, who was found guilty of killing his father, Hobert Pittman, and step-grandmother (Satterfield) and for attempting to murder his stepmother, Linda Pittman, and received two life sentences without the possibility of parole.

The hearing was so Linda Pittman could try to get back some of her belongings that were seized as evidence.

Pittman asked Superior Judge Roger D. Davis that she have "whatever was stolen, returned."

The list of items in evidence was extensive, so Pittman was mainly concerned about some firearms, the van she was in when she was shot and her mother killed, some keys, a fire-safe box that contained various legal documents and two license plates that had her name on them.

In separate hearings, Albert Pittman said he had no issue with any of the items being returned, except for his personal belongings.

Naylor, however, objected to the return of the metal box and van.

Davis asked Linda Pittman if it was OK if she only received copies of all of the items contained in the box, which she was OK with. Naylor said he was looking for a piece of paper that was titled "100 reasons I hate my mother" in the box. Davis went through the documents in the courtroom and saw no such document.

In regard to the 1982 Chevrolet van, which belonged to Satterfield and was not entered as evidence in the case, Naylor said he believed original photos of the van after the crimes differed from photos he received later.

"There was damage to the driver's side door that I vividly remember and later photos show no damage on the door," Naylor said. "I think it's possible digital photo manipulation."

After some discussion, Naylor was given 60 days for one of his family members to go the Indiana State Police Post in Sellersburg to photograph the van then it will be released to Linda Pittman. The photos are to be shared with the Harrison County Prosecutor's Office as well.

Regarding the firearms, Davis said he was reluctant to relinquish the weapons because it was a double-murder case and, due to the length of the sentences, there's no telling when an appeal may come.

"I was just concerned that the guns would be destroyed," Linda Pittman said after the hearings. "If the guns stay here, that's fine. They are safe and nothing will happen to them. I'm glad to get this over with."

She went on to say that being face to face with the two men involved in the shootings brought back a flood of memories.

"You never get over it; it brings it back," she said. "When (Naylor) walked in with that smirk and looking at me, I just stared at him and shook my head and laughed."